Saturday, January 9, 2010

Brussel Sprout and Bacon Pizza

Yes, I said brussel sprouts and bacon! If you don't like brussel sprouts or even if you do, you will love this pizza.

Brussel sprouts get a bad rap. If you ask a panel of kids (or even adults) what vegetable they dislike the most it most likely will be the lowly brussel sprout. I am here to change your mind with an delicious, crispy, savory, cast iron roasted brussel sprout.

Paired with delicious bacon, creamy crumbled goat cheese and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar for a touch of sweetness, this pizza is heaven on a plate. I even converted my brussel sprout hating husband!

If you do not own a cast iron pan, Greg at http://sippitysup.theopenskyproject.com/ has a line of Lodge cast iron perfect for not only roasting brussel sprouts but anything else you can imagine. I personally own these and can tell you first hand they make everything you cook taste amazing!

Roasted Brussel Sprout and Bacon Pizza
Serves 6 easily

Pizza crust:
adapted from Ina Garten Parties

1 1/4 c. warm water
2 packages yeast
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. honey
4 c. bread flour ( Ina uses all-purpose but I like the texture bread flour gives)
2 tsp. kosher salt
cornmeal
Toppings:
24 brussel sprouts
olive oil
1 lb. good quality bacon
8 oz. crumbled goat cheese
aged balsamic vinegar



For crust: Place warm water, yeast, honey and olive oil in mixer with dough hook attachment. Mix until combined. Add flour and salt to mixture, mix on low until combined and then on medium -high for 15 minutes until dough is soft and pliable. Remove from dough hook, drizzle a small amount of olive oil in bowl and set dough in bowl to rise. Cover with kitchen towel and set to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Once risen, flour counter top and knead 15-20 times. Divide into 4 pieces and set aside.

Toppings:

Cut the stem off the bottom of the brussel sprouts, then cut in half lengthwise. Thinly slice each half. Place all sliced brussel sprout into a cast iron pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Place on a preheated 400 degree grill. Cook until caramelized on edges and soft. Once done remove from cast iron pan or it will burn from the residual heat.

While waiting for the brussel sprouts to cook place bacon a baking sheet into a preheated 375 degree oven, cook 12-14 minutes. Be careful bacon goes from cooked to burnt very easily!

Assembly:
Preheat oven to 500 degrees

Take one of the pizza dough pieces you set aside and gently stretch the dough edges in a circle until you reach the desired thickness.
Place on a baking sheet with a sprinkling of cornmeal ( this will keep the dough from sticking), drizzle with olive oil then top with roasted brussel sprouts, bacon and crumbled goat cheese. 2 pizzas will fit on a standard baking sheet. Rotate sheet pans 1/2 way through cooking for even browning. Bake 10-12 minutes until crust is a light golden brown.

Drizzle with an aged balsamic vinegar and serve!

14 comments:

Chef E said...

I must have been a weird kid because I loved them, even boiled with cheese on them :)

I want his cast iron pots too, but waiting till the minis come in.

How great pizza! I would have not thought of that one...your the best...

Fresh Local and Best said...

Sarah! I thought I was the only person that shaved brussels sprouts and sauteed them! I bet this pizza is fantastic!

Delicious Dishings said...

This pizza sounds fabulous! I absolutely love brussels sprouts -- especially with bacon!

Sippity Sup said...

Girl! You shock me (in a good way) and I am very difficult to shock. This is a bit of genius! GREG

Eleanor Hoh said...

Interesting to shave them, um. My hubz love sprouts too esp. when I stir fry them with tamari, sherry and squeeze of lemon juice and tons of garlic and ginger. I also love cast iron pans but esp. the wok, it's so versatile and can be used to cook nearly everything.

Chris said...

It looks very good, even knowing that it has brussel sprouts;)

Reeni said...

I'm a recent brussel sprout convert. I could definitely see myself enjoying this especially with the bacon and goat cheese!

Tangled Noodle said...

I have a cast iron pan purchased from Greg's OpenSky shop and haven't had a chance to use it yet! By far this is the most original and intriguing use of Brussels sprouts I've seen. I'd love to give it a try!

Lori said...

Brussel sprouts on a pizza?! What a great idea! This sounds delicious. They are tasty with bacon so why not combine them as a pizza topping. Brilliant!

Sook said...

brussels sprouts on pizza, that's gotta be interesting! it looks wonderful!

NKP said...

Sounds yummy to me!
I love Ina, and brussels sprouts are actually my daughter's favourite veggie. I should make this for her one day.

Anonymous said...

This pizza sounds amazing! I love the combination of brussel sprouts, bacon and goat cheese, very nice!

Barbara said...

I love 'em and surprisingly, so did my kids. They still want me to make a brussel sprout dish for holidays- they are sliced and cooked with proscuitto and parmesan (and a few other things). They would LOVE this pizza recipe!

averagebetty said...

This looks great! I bet you can fool a lot of people into liking brussels sprouts this way!