Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Burgundy Bean Salad

On Sundays we spend time together as a family. The day usually starts with a trip to the Hill Crest Farmers Market, then a lunch on the patio of a restaurant we notice on the drive in. I'm not a huge fan of wasting my money on chain restaurants, so we try to visit and support local restaurants. We usually are rewarded with interesting and delicious local food.


This Sunday I saw a variety of veggies and fruits I haven't seen before. Burgundy beans, delicatta squash and a whole vendor of micro greens. Oh how I wish I had access to some of those micro greens in culinary school. The most interesting were banana shoots, they started out with a tangy flavor then turned sweet. Very intriguing!

In the end I ended up with some beautiful champagne grapes, a few squashes, squash blossoms and some beautiful burgundy beans!


Burgundy Bean Salad

Serves 4

6 whole red potatoes
6 slices of thick bacon
2 tsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. burgundy beans
4 eggs ( poached)
2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 cups arugula


Vinaigrette

1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. champagne vinegar
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and chop potatoes into bite size pieces. Place potatoes and bacon on separate baking sheets, pour olive oil over potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until both bacon and potatoes are brown and crispy.

While waiting for the bacon and potatoes, poach the eggs, steam the beans and mix the dressing.
To steam beans: Place in vegetable steamer and steam for 5 minutes. Remove from steamer and place in ice water to retain color and texture

To poach eggs: Bring to boil 4 cups of water and add 2 tbsp white vinegar. Crack each of the 4 eggs into separate small bowls. Slowly slide the egg into the water, cook 3-4 minutes until white and no longer translucent. Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel. Continue the process with the remaining 3 eggs.


Dressing: Place vinegar, mustard and sat and pepper in a small bowl, slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. It may need to be whisked again before serving


To assemble
Place arugula in the center of the plate. Top with potatoes and crumbled bacon. Place poached egg on top of potatoes and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those burgundy beans are gorgeous, I haven't seen those. Very interesting about the banana shoots too! The salad sounds very nice!

Barbara said...

Wonderful colors! I don't know anything about banana shoots- will have to look into those. You had a fortunate day at your Farmer's Market!

Laura in Paris said...

In the many times that I have been going to the beautiful Santa Monica farmer market I do not recall having seen these beans .. I'll keep my eyes open next time I visit!

Jhonny walker said...

I love farmers market..the smells and colors and its super to lose yourself :) the salad undoubtedly will taste great :)

Chris said...

So how did those beans taste compared to green beans? They look gorgeous.

Chris said...

OMG, I just realized I'm old. I said that beans were gorgeous.... :)

chow and chatter said...

these are so cool and love the salad

Sarah said...

Chris-
It's ok, we all sucumb to the "they look gorgeous" eventually. ;)

Joie de vivre said...

Oh those beans are beautiful. What a fun way to spend a Saturday with your family. We get purple beans in our CSA basket. I always think it's funny that they turn green when you cook them!

Sarah said...

Joie de Vivre- Yes they did lose there color, so I steamed them and they retained the color better. The photo at the market was more representive of their beautiful raw color!

Tangled Noodle said...

This is where I'm terribly envious of life in SoCal! These beans are beautiful and the other vegetables you describe sound fantastic.