Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple-Plum Pie...A twist on a classic

Classic apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, what could be more perfect? Add a handful of ripe plums and scoop of Cinnamon ice cream and a classic apple pie becomes more complex in flavor and so much more flavorful. I have always enjoyed apples, whether in pies or freshly pick of the trees in the orchard. My fondest memories of childhood are weekend trips to the orchard. I can still smell the homemade cider donuts and taste the fresh squeezed cider!

This week I noticed a trend on the various food blogs I read, apple recipes. Homemade apple sauce was the star on many a site. One blogger dedicated a entire week to the delicious fruit. Head over and check out Greg at http://www.sippitysup.com/, he dedicated a entire week to the fruit. ( while your there Greg was nominated for best food photography blog, be sure to vote for him at http://www.foodbuzz.com/).


Apple-Plum Pie
serves 6-8
*
6 apples ( I used a combination of Jonathon and Gala)
3 Plums ( leave skins on)
1 tsp. freshly grated cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 premade pie crust ( I know, shame on me!)
*
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core the apples. Slice and place in a large bowl. Slice plums leaving peels intact. Place in bowl. ( the peel on the plums will give the apples a lovely pink hue.)
Combine the remaining dry ingredients and toss with apples and plums, coating all fruit evenly.
Place 1 crust in the bottom of pie pan (Do not stretch or the crust will shrink back!). Put apple plum mixture on top of the bottom crust, cover with top crust and crimp edges to seal. Lightly brush the top of crust with water, sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 1-1/15 hours until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling.
*
Serve with cinnamon ice cream

5 comments:

Sippity Sup said...

What a nice surprise to come here and see you mention of my apples and FoodBuzz nomination. That is so nice. Speaking of nice I love this combination of flavors in you perfectly photographed pie! GREG

Angie's Recipes said...

It has been a while since I last had apple pie. Your apple pie with a twist sounds fantastic with some cinnamon ice cream.

Angie's Recipes

Chris said...

I already voted for Greg at Foodbuzz. He does a phenomenal job with his blog, just like you do. Both of you are two of the blogs I hold as an example of the photography I want to do.

Donna-FFW said...

I love the addition of the plums, sounds terrific!! No shame in a premade pie crust, bet it was all delicious!!

Anonymous said...

The addition of plums is awesome! A delicious twist on a classic!