Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Creamy Shrimp and Peppered Bacon Pasta

Do you go to the grocery store, farmers market, etc to gain inspiration? I love to go to the market and roam the isles, gaining inspiration in a product, a fruit, a vegetable and so on. (Just between you and me I would much rather food shop than clothes shop any day).

Today I was rounding up ingredients in the local market, for the school bake sale on Friday, and noticed wild caught shrimp was on sale in addition to some lovely thick cut peppered bacon. A creamy pasta with shrimp, crispy bacon, and fresh peas instantly came to mind!

Some of my best recipes have come about this way, wandering around the market. ( Whole Foods and the farmers market usually offers me the most inspiration).



Shrimp and Peppered Bacon Pasta

serves 4-6


1/2 lb. dried angel hair pasta

1 pound fresh shrimp peeled and deveined

1 1/2 c. half/half

1 tsp. olive oil

2 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. flour

2 cloves garlic minced

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup peas

1/2 lb. peppered bacon



Cook pasta al dente according to directions.Preheat oven to 375.Place bacon on baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes until crisp. Saute shrimp in olive oil until pink about 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Place butter flour and garlic into the saute pan and mix until ingredients form a roux. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add half/half and salt. Cook until thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.

Add sauteed shrimp, peas and all but 4 pieces of bacon and warm through. Drain pasta and toss with cream sauce.

Plate pasta and garnish with crumbled bacon. Bon Appetitit!

9 comments:

Chef E said...

This sounds like a meal I would totally enjoy!

Hey I have been meaning to tell you there is a company that just opened up down the road from Princeton that publishes cookbooks, and I thought of you...email me and I will send you there information, maybe there is a demand for your photography...

Laura in Paris said...

Oh, what a delicate presentation!

chow and chatter said...

oh this sounds and looks divine

Barbara said...

Sounds easy to make and delicious! Great combination. And yes, I love wandering through markets.

Chris said...

Bowing.

The recipe, execution, presentation, and photography are all just spectacular. I don't know whether to love or hate you (ha ha ha). Great job!

Sarah said...

Chris-
Thanks for the great compliment! I feel as though I have hit a plateau with photography and I am trying to push myself to learn some new techniques in editing and presentation. Can't wait to start up classes again, I am so addicted!

Sippity Sup said...

You are so good at making everything seem so elegant and effortless. GREG

Anonymous said...

I love your presentation, and the pasta sounds excellent!

Karine said...

Your pasta sounds delicious!

I love to go to the farmer market and the grocery store.. for me, it is so relaxing!